A flooded house is not just an inconvenience, but it can also lead to property damage and troubles with your neighbors. If you are looking to fix your water leak in Malibu, we at Thousand Oaks Plumbing have the knowledge and the experience to help you promptly.
What causes water pipes to leak?
There are various reasons for leakages, starting right from worn plumbing fittings to an old cored pipe or even poor workmanship. Some of the reasons can include:
- Deterioration or shifting – your house foundation, pipes, and drainage are prone to deteriorate due to prolonged use. Also, the natural shifting of your house foundation may cause pipes to move, putting stress on the joints that become loose over time.
- Temperature change – your freshwater pipes are exposed to continuous hot and cold cycles, especially the ones for the hot water. Like every other material in nature during the warm sequence, the pipe will expand, reducing its size when it is cooled down. These cycles are posing stress on the joints and also may cause your pipeline to burst or crack.
- Freezing pipes – during the winter season stagnant water may freeze, expanding and bursting your pipes. You may not find this kind of water leak in Malibu, but you never know!
- Fluctuating water pressure – similar to the stress of hot-cold cycles an unregulated pressure may cause your pipes to crack. A simple way to avoid this problem is to install a pressure regulator at the limit of your property.
- Clogs – hair, grease, vegetable waste, toilet paper, or even pieces of clothing may cause your pipes to clog and backup or overflow.
- Inadequate work– is a less common situation, but hiring an unqualified plumber can cause water leakages in your plumbing. Selection of inappropriate materials or improper jointing can lead to this kind of problems.
Detecting a water leak
There are several simple methods to know if you have a pipe leaking problem:
- Use your water meter as a detector – if your water bill suddenly went up may be a good indication of a leakage in the system.
- Leaking faucets – are pretty visible, and visual inspection can help you identify them. In general, this is a result of a worn rubber gasket or sealing, and they are easy to replace if you have the right tools.
- Leaking toilets – you should not neglect them as you can waste gallons of water in a year. Similarly to faucets, these are easy to identify and fix.
- Wet spots – again, a visual inspection will help you to identify them.
How do I fix a water leak in Malibu?
Once you detect the water leakage, it is easy to fix it so that you will avoid further, much more costly, damages. A qualified plumber will identify the problem and will fix it using appropriate tooling and materials.
Hopefully, you will not have to look for emergency services any time soon, but should you need help, do not wait! Give us a call at Thousand Oaks Plumbing to prevent your problems from growing out of proportions!Water Leak Malibu