- Filters and Captures Runoff: Driveways, sidewalks, roads, etc turn rain water into fast moving runoff. Grass slows it down and absorbs runoff….cleansing water of impurities, resulting in 10 times less acidic water that enters our waterways.
- Reduces Heat: Lawns can be 31 degrees cooler than asphalt and 20 degrees cooler than bare soil.
- Improves Air Quality: Grass plays a role in capturing dust, smoke particles and other pollutants . Without grass these would remain in the air and result in more “code red” days.
- Adsorbs Carbon Dioxide: Lawns absorb more carbon Dioxide than any other plant type.
- Generates Oxygen: A 25 square foot area of grass supplies enough oxygen to support one person for a day.
- Supports Biodiversity: Provides food and habitat for many species of animals, supporting an entire eco system.
- Controls Soil Erosion: The dense blades and fibrous root system helps keep soil in its place. Ensuring soil does not erode into out fresh water systems creating chemical and nutrient problems for fish by stealing oxygen from the water.
Commonwealth Irrigation located in Fredericksburg provides lawn maintenance, irrigation systems and various other services to the surrounding communities